Happy First Week of Training to Me!
| One of my MCM sistas," Tonya, and me on our first official training run - 3 miles |
It has arrived--the first of an 18 week training schedule. And really, just in time because it calls for a scale back in mileage and my legs were in need of a little pull-back. After that half a few weeks ago, my buddies and I have just kept our miles long. Between the humidity and all the yard work I've been doing lately, my pace felt extremely sluggish the last few weeks, and it's been weighing on my attitude.
However, this first week of training called for three 3-mile runs with a 6 miler for the long run and the 3 milers were game changers. I feel completely refreshed! Luckily, my training partners are like-minded and injury-conscious. We are well-aware that we're capable of going much further than 3 miles--we were running like 8 milers the week before, but the point of following a plan like this is to keep yourself in tiptop shape so that you can first make it to the starting line in order to ultimately get to that finish line! Speaking of my awesome training partners, I have to give a big shout out to Kim for sticking with it even on her vaca out west this week! And despite the soaring temps to the point of a heat advisory, she's been sending us messages with breathtaking photos of what her first week of training view has been. Way to go, Kim!
So, besides the occasion of it being the first week of training, the other reason I felt compelled to write a post today was because this morning I saw an interview between Natalie Morales and Jake Gyllenhaal on the Today Show. Gyllenhaal will be playing the role of Boston Marathon bombing survivor Jeff Bauman in a film entitled Stronger coming out this September. Take a look at the trailer below (but be forewarned; i.e. grab the tissues!)
Coincidentally, the Boston Marathon bombing occurred on the same day my dad died. I remember arriving home from the hour and 45 minute drive (it probably didn't take Chad that long to escort me that day) from Cleveland, MS to my hometown, but I was too late--they had already taken my dad away. Instead, what was there, waiting for me, instead, sprawled all over the television, were the headlines of what was going on in Boston and images of people limping or being carried out of a smokey finish line. I have a feeling this is going to be such a difficult movie for me to watch, but how can I not? This is what it's all about. Our trauma, out tragedy, how the horribleness of it all somehow helps us make good. I had no idea how entangled and significant loss and running would become for me, but it has and is such an emotional experience. Dare I say, it's even spiritual. I am doing it for all those who cannot.
If you'd like to read more about my personal running journey you can do so here or by visiting my Donate page I'd like to end this post by giving a special thank you to my most recent donor, Tim Provaznik, who happens to be one of my running buddies and dear friends! Much appreciation, for your support and continual encouragement.
Happy trails,
Amber

Great post! Keep up the good work!
ReplyDeleteGreat post! Keep up the good work!
ReplyDelete