Blood, Sweat, & More Sweat: Marathon Training in Mississippi
Greetings from the other side of my deep fried southern adventure! If you read my last post, you know I was little nervous about taking on the heat, humidity, and long mileage all alone (read: without my rock star running buddies).
I am here to report that I made it! I completed every single run on the schedule, which included a 9-miler AND a 10-miler. I couldn't have done it, however, without my mom. For my maintenance runs during the week, she walked the opposite direction around our neighborhood so we would meet up when we looped. But the best part was when she followed on my long runs in her Jeep with the flashers on so no one else ran me over/ no farm dogs mauled me.
Things The Old Miss Reminded Me When it Comes to Running in the Dirty South:
1. It's a Lose-Lose Situation: It's high humidity in the mornings and steam soaked concrete in the evenings. However, I chose the humid, yet shady mornings. There's just something about having your exercise out of the way at the beginning of the day that is favorable.
2. Accept a slower pace. My plan was to keep it around 12 (min) or 12:30 because that's what my MCM buddies and I assume we will be running on race day. I'm about minute to minute-and half faster on my short/maintenance runs. The fact that I was actually keeping a pretty consistent pace between that 12 and 12:30 marker on my Garmin had me pretty proud because I know it is okay, and I was fully prepared to slow it down due to the mugginess, but I surprised myself and even kept a pretty good cadence at least where the pavement was shaded. My last two miles on the long route were brutal because the sun was all the way up (even though I started my runs early) and there was minimal shade. At that point my pace plummeted.At times, I was even skimming the 12:50/13 min marker. I didn't even care through. I just remembered my friend and fellow MCM training partner, Tonya, spouting off about how your pace will naturally slow by minutes in the extreme heat and also that even if you're not full out running, time on your feet counts towards the mileage you are supposed be putting in.
3. Hydrate! Hydrate! Hydrate! Hal Higdon, who I most definitely recommend if you are thinking of training for your first half or full marathon, talks a great deal about proper fueling (both in the food and liquid departments). I have been practicing drinking more water, and I finally taught my gut to deal with sports drinks, which is very helpful when you're training for long distance, especially in hot climates because you need to replace those electrolytes, baby! I have never drank so much actively on my run than on those two long runs in Mississippi. I carry about 20 oz of liquid on a fuel belt (another inexpensive investment I suggest if you are getting into long distance--one I didn't even have to buy myself--Thanks, Kim!) Boy, was I spoiled on these long runs though! Since my mom was following me, she carried extra water and Gatorade for me (and in a cooler to boot!). If you don't have the luxury of having an escort, I would advise stashing some sealed bottles (so you make sure they have not been tampered with) along your route.
Obviously doing anything at home feels sentimental, but running the route I did on my long runs was especially nostalgic. Every step was leading me to a very special place, Hernando Point, the lake where my dad took me every weekend during the summers of my childhood. I have so many memories riding in his truck, listening to oldies, the hot wind whipping my hair around either on the way to or from having the best time of my life with my favorite person. Never ever did I think I'd be making that trip on foot!
I'm back in the Mountain State now, and I've traded in the humidity back in for hills! Before I go, I have some very wonderful news to share. I am merely $5 away from meeting my $1000 fundraising goal for the Semper Fi Fund!! I am just absolutely floored by the support I have received, and I want to thank the following people who have made recent donations, which got me to this point:
Happy Running,
Amber
Things The Old Miss Reminded Me When it Comes to Running in the Dirty South:
1. It's a Lose-Lose Situation: It's high humidity in the mornings and steam soaked concrete in the evenings. However, I chose the humid, yet shady mornings. There's just something about having your exercise out of the way at the beginning of the day that is favorable.
2. Accept a slower pace. My plan was to keep it around 12 (min) or 12:30 because that's what my MCM buddies and I assume we will be running on race day. I'm about minute to minute-and half faster on my short/maintenance runs. The fact that I was actually keeping a pretty consistent pace between that 12 and 12:30 marker on my Garmin had me pretty proud because I know it is okay, and I was fully prepared to slow it down due to the mugginess, but I surprised myself and even kept a pretty good cadence at least where the pavement was shaded. My last two miles on the long route were brutal because the sun was all the way up (even though I started my runs early) and there was minimal shade. At that point my pace plummeted.At times, I was even skimming the 12:50/13 min marker. I didn't even care through. I just remembered my friend and fellow MCM training partner, Tonya, spouting off about how your pace will naturally slow by minutes in the extreme heat and also that even if you're not full out running, time on your feet counts towards the mileage you are supposed be putting in.
3. Hydrate! Hydrate! Hydrate! Hal Higdon, who I most definitely recommend if you are thinking of training for your first half or full marathon, talks a great deal about proper fueling (both in the food and liquid departments). I have been practicing drinking more water, and I finally taught my gut to deal with sports drinks, which is very helpful when you're training for long distance, especially in hot climates because you need to replace those electrolytes, baby! I have never drank so much actively on my run than on those two long runs in Mississippi. I carry about 20 oz of liquid on a fuel belt (another inexpensive investment I suggest if you are getting into long distance--one I didn't even have to buy myself--Thanks, Kim!) Boy, was I spoiled on these long runs though! Since my mom was following me, she carried extra water and Gatorade for me (and in a cooler to boot!). If you don't have the luxury of having an escort, I would advise stashing some sealed bottles (so you make sure they have not been tampered with) along your route.
Obviously doing anything at home feels sentimental, but running the route I did on my long runs was especially nostalgic. Every step was leading me to a very special place, Hernando Point, the lake where my dad took me every weekend during the summers of my childhood. I have so many memories riding in his truck, listening to oldies, the hot wind whipping my hair around either on the way to or from having the best time of my life with my favorite person. Never ever did I think I'd be making that trip on foot!
I'm back in the Mountain State now, and I've traded in the humidity back in for hills! Before I go, I have some very wonderful news to share. I am merely $5 away from meeting my $1000 fundraising goal for the Semper Fi Fund!! I am just absolutely floored by the support I have received, and I want to thank the following people who have made recent donations, which got me to this point:
Gail Provenzano
Anna Lowe
Katherine Shaman
Thank you again to all of you for your continued support and encouragement!
Thank you again to all of you for your continued support and encouragement!
Happy Running,
Amber







Comments
Post a Comment