You mean you don't start training for a marathon by running a half?!?



Hey, there!

 Thanks for checking out my new blog. As some of you know, I have committed to fulfilling one of my dreams in October: running the Marine Corps Marathon (MCM). And since I did not initially get in with the lottery, I'm making my race entry happen through raising money for the Semper Fi Fund, which provides support to wounded or ill military members of all U.S. military branches by ensuring they and their families have the resources they need in order to transition back into their communities after their service. I have already received heart-warming support both in monetary and verbal forms, and I think by creating this newsletter-esc platform, I will be able to express my gratitude to those supporters as well as hopefully inspire others to join my cause! With that being said, I'd like to give a big thankful shout-out to the following people who have already helped me reach $783 of my $1,000 goal:

Michael Copley
Emily Sigman
Donna Myers
Shayla Owens
Debra Smith
Dawn Wright
Nicole Casteel
Shelly Rudolph
Rivers LeGrand
Pam Steen
Don Allan Mitchell

If you would like to read about why this race means so much to me or would like to help me reach my goal (every little bit helps!), you can visit my donation page here: runsignup.com/AmberRuns4Buzzy

As the title of this post suggests, I did just run a half-marathon this past weekend. I write to you from a laptop atop extremely sore quads, and seasoned runners know that means the course involved some decline. Indeed, the major draw of Decker's Creek Half is the mostly downhill course. But, don't be fooled. It may feel easier than a more traditional course at times, but you're working a different set of muscles than usual, and you're going to feel it later! Despite post-pain, it was worth it.

The race was in Morgantown, WV (where WV University is located), about a three hours drive from where I live, so my running buddies and I went up the afternoon before for dinner and to get settled. We stayed in a great boutique hotel called The Chestnut Hotel downtown, which allowed us to walk to packet pickup in the morning. From there, we were bused about 25 minutes up a mountain to the starting line where it began to really set in for me that I had not ran a half-marathon distance in close to two years. I tried to repress that realization with jovial starting line banter with my friends. 


The course was beautiful: the trail was crushed stone, shaded by hemlock and rhododendron and ran rhythmically along its namesake, Decker's Creek, which runs towards the Monogahela. We really lucked out with nice weather--sunshine and high of 80 degrees. I was thankful for the shade, though. The last 5k was flat and in the sun, and was definitely the hardest part of the race for me. I did have some pretty fast beginning miles, and ended up with a PR, though I doubt I'd break it on a flatter course, but maybe if I come back to do this one again....I had to remind myself early on that even though it was mostly downhill, it was still over 13 miles--you have to conserve. I also remember thinking, at some point this distance has to become easy because it's only half of what I'm supposed to do in October! 


I'm still having a really hard time wrapping my mind around what anything over 13.1 miles could possibly look/feel like. I suppose something like double what this race felt like? That means double nervousness, double self-doubt,double pain,double surprise, double strength, double self-satisfaction, double awesome.

If you made it here, thanks for reading my entire first post! I'm planning on updating at least once a month leading up to the MCM in October (followed by recap of the event itself). However, if I get inspired, I may post more often. Stay tuned, and thanks again for your support and encouragement!

Best Wishes,
Amber

Comments

Popular Posts