Bragging Rights

Hi! Hello, there! How are you? It's been awhile!

You see,  I'm a teacher and alas, school has started back, but do not fear...I AM still on track with the marathon training. And I'm going STRONG! Well, actually, that's kind of a lie. I'm pretty tired, but I'm still going and that's something to be plum proud of!

In fact, I have quite a bit to brag about, so sorry if you came looking for humility here tonight.

1. I am over half-way through the training schedule, which called for a literal half-marathon. Two weekends ago, my training buddies and I signed up for the Parkersburg News & Sentinel Half Marathon, a hilly, hot race in a city about two hours away, and it turned out being one of the best races we have ever participated in. We were SO impressed with the friendly volunteers and the food and drinks we were provided. Kim and I got post-race massages at the medical tent that changed my life, and I just felt like we were waited on hand and foot all weekend. And boy, did the town really come out to support and cheer for the runners and walkers! It was truly amazing--some of the larger races could even take a page out of this one's book.


2. This last weekend, I ran my longest run in MY LIFE TO DATE! It was a literal "mile"stone of 15 miles down the beautiful rolling hills of the country music highway from Catlesburg to Louisa, KY. I along with my two other MCM training buddies, Kim and Tonya, were only expecting two other ladies to do the long, long trek with us, so we were struck and touched when we had a grand total of 10 of us ready to head out! I still can't believe we have friends that are shredding all these miles with us, and they don't even have to! Good. People. Y'all. We started just as the sun came up and the temperature was in the 60s and 70s. We were blessed. When I made it past the 13.1 marker on my Garmin, I got an emotional flutter, but then I ran the longest 2 miles of my life. Wow, they took like TWO HOURS (it seemed!). I'm so happy I'm over the hump! I'm ready to keep going--HOORAH. I'm slapping on just one more mile next week for 16!



3. The students wear uniforms at the school I teach at, but from time to time, the principal allows for "dress down days" in which the students may pay to wear non-uniform clothing in support of a fundraiser. Last Friday, my colleagues and kids helped me reach my $1000 goal for the Semper Fi Fund, which is the whole reason I am even getting to run the Marine Marathon in the first place. Everyone brought $2 and wore either red, white, and blue or a shirt supporting the military branch of their choice. I am not sure of how much we raised yet, but judging from everyone I saw out of uniform on Friday, I'd say we did pretty well! I am very proud and touched to be a part of a work family that eagerly jumped at the opportunity to support something that is personally so dear to my heart! Thank you St. Joseph Catholic High School faculty, staff, and students for your help!


Happy running,
Amber

Comments

Popular Posts